Skip to main content

Longmen Grottoes

The Longmen Grottoes or lóngmén shíkū or Dragon's Gate Grottoes or Longmen Caves is a sculptured complex of tens of thousands of Buddhist statues and disciples in the outer rocks and artificial caves on a limestone cliff on the banks of the Yi River in Luoyang, Henan Province, China, by Northern Wei Dynasty at 493 AD. The sites are some of the best examples of Chinese Buddhist art and many have ever been painted.

The Longmen Grottoes has at least 100,000 statues as high as 25 mm (1 inch) up to 17 meters (57 feet) in 2,345 caves. The area also has at least 2,500 stupas, inscriptions and more than 60 Buddhist pagodas in beautiful natural surroundings, caves excavated from a 1 kilometer (0.62 mile) cliff stretching along both sides of the banks of the Yi River.

Xvlor Longmen Grottoes Longmen Grottoes

Northern Wei Dynasty has at least carved a cliff of 30%, Tang Dynasty for as much as 60%, and another 10% from other periods. It starts with Northern Wei Dynasty in 493 AD where donors include emperor, Emperor Wu Zetian from Second Zhou Dynasty, members of the royal family, wealthy families, generals, and religious groups.

This complex is one of the three famous caves in China. The other two caves are the Yungang Cave near Datong in Shanxi Province and the Mogao Cave near Dunhuang in Gansu Province in western China. The valley formed along the Yi River is surrounded by Xiangshan hills on the east side and Longmenshan hill on the west side which has a steep slope.

Grottoes form at 1 km from the stretch of the river and carved on both banks of the river in limestone formations. Most of the work is done on the west bank, while the eastern bank has a smaller number as a residence for a large group of monks. About 50 large caves on the western cliffs were carved during the Northern Wei, Sui and Tang dynasties, while on the east cliffs were carved entirely during the Tang Dynasty.

The sculptures describe the development in a style where the early caves were simple. The style changes were more different in the more complex Tang Dynasty period and incorporated female figures and court figures. The caves have been numbered sequentially from north to south along the western bank of the Yi River. Entrance to the cave is from the north end.


Emperor Xiaowen from Northern Wei Dynasty moved the capital to Luoyang from Dàtóng. Grottoes were dug and carved with Buddhist subjects during 493 AD to 1127 AD in four different phases. The first phase begins with Northern Wei Dynasty (493-534), the second is Sui Dynasty (581-618) and the beginning of Tang Dynasty (618-907), third during Tang Dynasty when Chinese Buddhism flourished in 626 AD, and fourth during Northern Song Dynasty .

Guyangdong or Shiku Temple is dedicated to Emperor Xiaowen as the first cave temple built in the middle of the south floor of West Hill. Emperor Xuanwu from Northern Wei dug two caves to honor his father, Emperor Xiaowen, and a cave to commemorate his mother as Binyangsandong or "Three Binyang Caves" built for 24 years.

The Huangfugong or Shikusi Cave finished in 527 as a large cave to the south of West Hill. The Fengxiansi cave south of West Hill finished in 675 during Tang Dynasty which marked the third phase which at least accounted for 60% of the caves in Longmen during 626 AD to 755 M. The caves hold a Buddha statue of various sizes and several temples in open spaces with beautiful scenery and arrangements in the same complex were done in this period.

During the Second Sino-Japanese War, Japanese looted the site and took many statues. The Longmen Relics Care Agency was founded in 1953 under the Ministry of Culture. The 1954 site inventory was carried out by Longmen Caves Cultural Relics Management and Conservation Office. The State Council announced the Longmen Grottoes as a national cultural monument requiring special protection in 1961.

The Management and Conservation Office was renamed the Longmen Grottoes Research Institute in 1990 and the People's Government of Luoyang City was responsible for the management of the heritage monument. The government organization was renamed the Longmen Grottoes Research Academy in 2002.

Location: Luoyang, Henan Province, China.

Routes and public transport: Flights to Luoyang Beijiao Airport in Luoyang City, then take a taxi or bus (No. 60, 67, 71, or 81) to Longmen Grottoes for 12 kilometres (7.5 mi). Travel overland from all parts of China to Luoyang Longmen Railway Station, then take a taxi or bus (No. 60, 67, 71, or 81) to Longmen Grottoes for 5 kilometres.

All the buses and taxis take you to the west entrance to Pedestrian Street 2 kilometers long to the north entrance to Longmen Grottoes on the western hill. Some shops on the street offer luggage storage services. Leave your big suitcase and grab your valuables. Longmen Grottoes

Xvlor Longmen Grottoes

Advice: The Longmen Grottes site consists of two hills cleaving the Yi River and connected by two bridges. At least 4 sub-attractions are caves in the western hills, caves on the eastern hill, Xiangshan Temple on the eastern hill, and Bai Juyi's Tomb on the eastern hill. Both hills are connected by two bridges. Exploring all at least takes about 3 or 4 hours.

Electromobile is the main transportation in Longmen Grottoes to help visitors get around for a small fee. Another alternative is to tour the ship through the Yi River to have a broader perspective.

Although the river paths and caves are paved and well maintained, lots of stairs to climb up and down to see the various Buddhas in the cave. Tourists should wear comfortable shoes. Also taking a flashlight will help the dark caves, umbrellas, drinking water, and comfortable clothes.

Ticket information

February - March (8 am to 5 pm)
April 1 - May 10 (7.30 am to 9 pm)
May 11 - October 31 (7.30 am to 5.30 pm)
November - January (8.00 am to 4.30 pm)

» China
» List of Heritage Sites
Xvlor Explore Papua



Asmat Cultural Festival

Asmat Cultural Festival is an annual event for the legendary carving of Asmat Tribe held at Yos Sudarso Square in Agats City, Asmat Regency, Papua Province, Indionesia. Cultural festivals include woodcarving exhibitions and auctions presented by hundreds of artisans and artists who will showcase their outstanding skills in sculpting, weaving, boating, various dances and traditional music performances.

Located in Papua Province, the Asmat community is well known for its rituals and natural talents to make carvings on wood without any sketches. These high-value fine carvings are connected with ancestral spirits in a very distinctive style that has been the concern of anthropologists and fills in the auction events, exhibitions and museums of the world.

The Asmat population is divided into those who live on the coast and those who live in the interior of the rainforest. These two populations differ from one another in terms of dialect, way of life, social structure and ritual. The coasta…

Lower Zambezi National Park

The Lower Zambezi National Park is a conservation area of 4,092 sq kilometers across with 120 kilometers along the northern edge of the Zambezi River in Lusaka Province, Zambia, declared in 1983 which was previously a private game reserve of the Zambian president. The park sits on the Zambezi floodplain and one of the few remaining wilderness areas in Africa.

The park has a sloping gentle topography from the Zambezi Escarpment to the Zambezi River with two major forest prairier ecoregions that are distinguished by two dominant tree species. The Miombo Forest (Brachystegia) in the higher ground in the north and and the Mopane Forest (Colophospermum mopane) on the lower slopes of the south are interspersed with white acacia (Faidherbia albida).


The Lower Zambezi Valley includes the Lower Zambezi National Park and Game Management Areas (GMA's) around it are rich in biodiversity. The banks of the river are flood plains mostly diasporus, ficus and other river species. Forests, wet…

El Paraíso

El Paraíso is a site of mysterious ruins built in the Late Preceramic or Cotton Preceramic period (3500-1800 BCE) or an aceramic site of 0.58 sq kilometers in Chillon River Valley, San Martín de Porres District, Lima Province, Peru . The area was once occupied briefly by a group of cultures for at least 300 to 400 years and the estimated population is 1500 and 3000 people.

The ruins of the Andean Preceramic stone structure have long been a debate among archaeologists calling the Late Preceramic period, while Fréderic Engel (1957) refers to Cotton Preceramic. Pozorski and Pozorski (2008) argue El Paraíso is an "aceramic" site because at that time many other areas have ceramics.

The purpose of the site is also still mysterious given the lack of sediment, the presence of burial or grave areas, and the construction of thick walls consisting of rocks dug in local hills which confirm the theory that the site is not a residential or domestic complex. The evidence precisely promotes…